Friday, April 17, 2009

What's your pleasure?

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 (NIV)

Too often I hear this verse used as some sort of a "magic key." Just delight in the Lord, and He'll give you whatever your heart desires. Want a 52-inch plasma HDTV? Just spend time in prayer and worship. Want a new car? Study God's Word more, and He'll reward you for it with a new ride. Hoping that "special someone" will ask you out/agree to go out with you? Volunteer to help with the homeless outreach, and God will pay you back. It often borders on the pagan practice of manipulating their gods by performing certain rituals or spells that are prescribed to achieve certain ends.

But is that what "delight yourself in the Lord" really means? To "delight in" means to draw one's pleasure and satisfaction from, to find one's joy in. When I delight in the Lord, I make Him the source of my fulfillment, joy, satisfaction, happiness, etc. The more I delight in Him, the less important other things become. Christ Himself becomes my passion -- the desire of my heart.

So when I truly delight myself in the Lord, He is the desire of my heart, and He will not withhold Himself from me, but will reveal Himself to me (John 14:21).

Oh Lord, help me make You the desire of my heart. Help me to seek You above all else, and to find my joy in You.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deléitate en el Señor, y él te concederá los deseos de tu corazón. Salmo 37:4 (NVI)

Muchas veces escucho este versículo usado como una "llave mágica." Sólo deléitate en el Señor, y El te dará cualquier cosa que desea tu corazón. ¿Quieres un televisor plasma de 52 pulgadas? Sólo pasa tiempo en oración y adoración. ¿Quieres un auto nuevo? Estudia la palabra de Dios más, y El te va a premiar con un modelo del año. ¿Esperas que ese "alguien especial" te invite a salir o acepte tu invitación? Apuntate para ayudar con el ministerio a los que viven en la calle, y Dios te lo pagará. A veces está casi al bordo de las prácticas paganas de manipular a sus dioes a través de rituales o hechizos que promoten ciertos resultados.

¿Pero es eso lo que significa "deléitate en el Señor" en verdad? "Deleitarse en" significa recibir placer o satisfacción de, o encontrar gozo en. Cuando yo me deleito en el Señor, hago de Dios el fuente de mi llenura, gozo, satisfacción, felicidad, etc. Cuanto más me deleito en El, lo menos importante se vuelven otras cosas. Cristo mismo se convierte en mi pasión -- el deseo de mi corazón.

Así que cuando verdaderamente me deleito en el Señor, El es el deseo de mi corazón, y El no va a negarme relación con El, sino que se me va a revelar (Juan 14:21).

Señor, ayúdame a hacerte a Ti el deso de mi corazón. Ayúdame a buscarte por encima de todo lo demás, y encontrar mi gozo en Ti.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Roden...

    My name is Stephen Cox...and I am the Youth Pastor at Park Christian Church in Dennison, OH. I wanted to get in touch with you somewhere in order to ask about a post you made on Ed Stetzer's 'State of the Church' blog post. You mentioned a "Class Pastor" model...and I wanted to pick your brain if I could. If you could let me know about it..my email is sgc1976@aol.com. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete