Friday, October 2, 2009

Where is your faith? -- ¿Dónde está su fe?

Luke 8:22-25
22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

Jesus told His disciples they were going to the other side of the lake. They were with Jesus, doing what He had asked them to do. Yet when the storm beat down on them, they feared for their lives. They thought they were going to drown.

Jesus said, “Let’s go over to the other side of the lake.” He didn’t say, “Let’s see if we can get there.” He knew they would make it across. He knew the storm would come, but that they would reach their destination anyway.

The disciples had something of an excuse for their fear. They didn’t have the benefit of hindsight, looking back at the cross and the resurrection. I, on the other hand, claim to have full knowledge that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God. So where is my faith?

If I’m walking with Jesus, doing what He has called me to do, why do I still fear? Or why do I hesitate to go where Jesus asks me to go, if He has promised He will never leave me and will always be with me (Deut. 31:6, 8; Heb. 13:5; Matt. 28:20)? Why do I worry about what might happen?

Jesus is with me. As long as I’m walking by His side, following where He leads, I shouldn’t worry about what happens. If everything goes smoothly, praise God for fair weather. If I find myself in the middle of a storm, Jesus is there in the boat with me. He may calm the wind and the waves or he may just calm me as I ride out the storm clinging to Him, but He will see to it that I get to where He wants me to be.

Lord, help me to have radical faith in You. Help me to believe Your promise to always be with me, and to follow wherever You lead, even if it means going through a storm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas 8:22-25
22 Un día subió Jesús con sus discípulos a una barca. “Crucemos al otro lado del lago,” les dijo. Así que partieron, 23 y mientras navegaban, él se durmió. Entonces se desató una tormenta sobre el lago, de modo que la barca comenzó a inundarse y corrían gran peligro. 24 Los discípulos fueron a despertarlo. “¡Maestro, Maestro, nos vamos a ahogar!” gritaron. Él se levantó y reprendió al viento y a las olas; la tormenta se apaciguó y todo quedó tranquilo. 25 “¿Dónde está la fe de ustedes?” les dijo a sus discípulos. Con temor y asombro ellos se decían unos a otros: “¿Quién es éste, que manda aun a los vientos y al agua, y le obedecen?”

Jesús dijo a sus discipulos que iban a ir al otro lado del lago. Estaban con Jesús, haciendo lo que El les había pedido. Pero cuando empezó la tormenta, temían por sus vidas. Pensaron que se iban a ahogar.

Jesús dijo, “Crucemos al otro lado del lago.” No dijo, “Vamos a ver si podemos llegar.” El sabía que iban a cruzar. El sabía que iba a venir la tormenta, pero también sabía que de todos modos llegarían a su destino.

Los discípulos tenían una excusa para su miedo. Ellos no tenían el beneficio de estar mirando hacia atrás, como nosotros, viendo la cruz y la resurrección. En cambio yo digo que tengo conocimiento completo de quien es Jesús. Entonces, ¿dónde está mi fe?

Si estoy caminando con Jesús, haciendo lo que El me ha llamado a hacer, ¿por qué todavía temo? ¿Por qué me quedo parado, en lugar de ir adonde El me pide que vaya, si El ha prometido que nunca me dejará y que siempre estará conmigo (Deut. 31: 6, 8; Heb. 13:5; Mat. 28:20)? ¿Por qué me preocupo por las cosas que podrían suceder?

Jesús está conmigo. Mientras que estoy caminando a Su lado, siguiendo donde El me guia, no debo preocuparme por lo que va a suceder. Si todo sale facil, gloria a Dios por vientos agradables. Si me encuentro en medio de una tormenta, Jesús está allí en la barca conmigo. Puede ser que El va a calmar los vientos y las olas, o puede ser que simplemente me va a calmar a mí mientras me aferro a El, pero El va a asegurar que yo llegue adonde El quiere que esté.

Señor, ayúdame a tener una fe radical en Ti. Ayúdame a creer Tu promesa de siempre estar conmigo, y a seguirte dondequiera que Tu me guies, aunque significa pasar por una tormenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment